Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Greeting 1

Matt is sitting in a chair on the porch of his house reading a newspaper and having a cup of coffee. He has on a white long-sleeves shirt, a tie and a pair of black dress pants, ready to go to work. A car pulls up in front of his house. Josh, his good buddy, comes out of the car.

Josh: Hey Matt, how's it going?

Matt: Josh, I'm good man (it is going good), how about you?

Josh: Can't complaint. (meaning:Josh has no complaints about life right now therefore he's good). I was in the neighborhood running errands, I thought I'd stop by and see you for a little bit before you went to work. I heard you will be promoted sometime next week.

Matt: Ha! Did Jane tell you about that? I told her not to you yet since its not yet official.

Josh: I would have found out one way or another. You can't keep things from me, Matt. Congratulations! I hope they pay you better after the promotion. You deserve it. I say we should celebrate it! How about a dinner on Friday, I pick you up at 7. Bring Jane too. Dinner is on me. What do you say?

Matt: Thanks and that sounds good to me. 7 o'clock is perfect. I see u then. But I must head out (to work now) now. Tell Carol I said hey. By the way, thanks for dropping by.

Josh: OK, I will. Hey good to see you.

Matt: You too Josh (good to see you too)

Both walk to their cars, jump into the cars and drive off.

Note:
to pull up: "pull" came from the fact that you are "pulling" the steering wheel when you are turning the steering wheel. In this case, to pull up means.
- to bring or come to a stop
- to bring or draw closer.

A lot of times people here only say "wheel" instead of "steering wheel"

How's it going or how is it going?: It's another form of greeting. It's basically the same as "How are you?" The answer could be just "Good". It's more informal.

Running errands: Doing little tasks/missions. Doing this and that. (could be "going to the bank", "picking up a package at the post office", "returning a rental movie", etc.

One way or another: Somehow. not sure how. but you will manage.

Keep things from somebody: to keep secrets from somebody

Dinner is on me: I am paying.

Tell her I said hey: Salam yah buat dia.

No comments:

Post a Comment