Sunday, July 4, 2010

In a classroom

This is a typical conversation in a classroom. Notice that some words are in bold letters. Those are the ones that you might want to pay extra attention to!

On a Sunday morning in class

Miss. Cooley (teacher): Good morning everyone. Who was your weekend? Mine went by too quick. Other than that it was good. So, I finally got your tests graded. I'll give them back to you at the end of the class.
Brandon: How did we do?
Miss. Cooley: You all did better than I thought. I was impressed. No one got a D in this class. OK, let's pick up where we left off last Friday.

(Miss. Cooley is passing out some worksheets)

Miss. Cooley: (Handing a pile of worksheets) Brandon, please take one of these (for you) then pass down the rest.
Brandon: Yes ma'am.

(Miss. Cooley is teaching the class)

(At the end of the class Miss. Cooley hands the tests back to the students.)

Lindsey: Hey Brandon, what did you make (on the test)?
Brandon: I made a 92, you?
Lindsey: I should sit by you next time. I made a C. I made a 70.

Note:
To pass out =to deliver by hand
To pass down = In this case it's to give the pile to the next person, then the next, then the next, in the same row. (Bahasa Indonya: oper, meng-oper). It can also mean to inherit from one generation to the next.
To pick up where we left off = to continue the lesson.
To hand something to somebody = To deliver / to pass by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment