Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Switching subjects (I becomes you)

People here have a habit of switching subjects, from I to You. So, my situation becomes yours or everybody's in general. This way, you, the listeners will be sucked into the story which makes the story more alive.

Notice the switch!

Heather: So, I went to join my new group in the other class. I sat down and introduced myself to the group. I looked at those new faces. I had never seen any of them before. It felt kind of awkward. (switch). Coz' you didn't know what to expect from these people. You didn't know how they were like to work with. If they were helpful or not, would they like you or not in the group. You will always have these thoughts in the back of your head.

To make the story even more alive, a lot of people will switch subjects and use the present tense instead of the past tense eventhough it is a story of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment