Monday, July 12, 2010

Conversation Practice Tips

"No pain, no gain". You've heard of this phrase before. According to this phrase you have to endure some pain to gain something. This applies to English. You will NOT be able to speak English without going through some "pain" with lots of practice. It does NOT happen magically. Practicing is never fun after awhile. But it pays off.
Here are some tips that WILL help you improve your speaking skill:

- Talking to yourself in your head (so you won't look crazy)
I would spend 15 minutes a day talking to myself in my head (I did not say it out loud when people were around me) when I was on my way to work. This could be the summary of my activities from the day before, or it could be things that I want to get done that day, or it could also be about things, activities or people that I like or dislike. In other words, you can talk about anything you want in your head. Summary of your activities is a good one to do.

- Find somebody who is not shy or ashamed to speak English with you on a regular basis. After all, EVERYBODY speaks English. It's really NOT a big deal. That's the language of the world, and you are the citizen of the world. So,you'd better speak the language.
This will feel weird at first, but after a while it will become your habit. Once it's become your habit, you're off to a good start. Remember, consistency is the key. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment